The realignment of Douglas Road to the north of the University of Notre Dame campus and ongoing road construction in other areas could cause confusion and possible delays while traveling to and from the University on home football game days this season.
Local law enforcement agencies are working collaboratively with the Notre Dame Security Police department to minimize delays, and they encourage motorists to keep the following in mind:
- The west end of Douglas Road now connects directly to the exit from the Indiana Toll Road, and to the east Douglas is accessible through two new roundabouts.
- Because Douglas is new, GPS systems will not account for the realignment. Motorists should ignore navigation systems and follow police officer directions and signs.
- The old Douglas Road has been renamed Moreau Drive from Juniper Road west to the Sacred Heart Parish Center, beyond which the road has been permanently closed.
- Douglas Road will be two-way before, during and after games, though there may be temporary closure of east- or westbound flow on Douglas Road during post-game patterns to accommodate traffic safety.
- Parking in White Field South will be from Douglas and in White Field North from Juniper.
- A shuttle from White Field will begin at 6 a.m. on game days and run continuously until pick-up stops are clear.
- ADA-accessible parking for those with state-issued placards is in the D2 North Lot. A shuttle to Gate 4 of the Joyce Center will operate continuously from 6 a.m. until the pick-up area is clear.
- South of campus, there is a great deal of construction, with several roads closed, including Twyckenham Drive at South Bend Avenue. Many familiar routes will be closed, and police advise motorists to ignore their navigation systems and follow officer instructions rather than rely on past practices.
- Up-to-date traffic information is available before games on Twitter from the Indiana State Police at @ndtraffic. Police advise motorists to, as always, arrive early and be patient during the post-game exodus.
Originally published by news.nd.edu on August 22, 2013.at